Unlike Cricket, Football knows no boundaries; only corner flags.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Going For... Bloke?

Okay, so it has been well under a month since I was supposed to have written on Manchester United's alleged participation in the Champions League final. I can be honest about it at least and say that I was in hiding for pretty much most of this time. In fact, I went into hiding from the 80th minute onwards of that game after Villa sealed our fate with a cracking finish to make it 3-1 to the catalans. That score line actually flatters the performance we showed that evening, and underwhelms the kind of extraordinary playmaking that Barca showed off.

Fantasy Football At Its Best
I'll take a 3-1 loss. Its better than the 2-0 loss we sustained two years ago to the same opponents. Don't get me wrong... We were schooled then, and we were punished this time around. The plus, as I see it, is that we actually scored one goal against them. But that's about it as the aggregate remains the same. Barca wasted a host of opportunities to make it 6-1 or 7-1. I feel better already.

Its the middle of June now and I can say with pride, that I've moved on. The way we played that night, I think Barca were able to put a  miserable performance by their hosts who hardly put in a challenge, behind them as well. Everyone moved on. Everyone will now have their eye on the transfer market, me included. Im looking forward to seeing a stronger squad this time around. Some new names here and there.

But...

1) Michael Carrick left our defense exposed to an all too blatant brilliant triangle of messi xavi and iniesta by not being defensive enough - for a defensive midfielder.

2) Van Der Sar probably should've done better. On a night we lost, So long Edwin.

3) Evra didn't have one of his best seasons for us and that showed when we conceded our first goal.

4) The rest of our team were outclassed by intricate passes but were let off by slightly awkward finishing from the spanish team.

5) You could say it was a squad effort.

Livin' the Vida Loca

Lets be brave enough to admit that we did  indeed deserve to reach the finals of the UCL and rightly deserved second place, no more. I look at it like that and we really couldn't have achieved anymore. We were up against the best team in the world for a second time in three years, and even without Cristiano Ronaldo and we being more of a squad than we were with the former number 7, we suffered the same fate; but with a goal to show for it. Yay!

We all know that. And all the neutrals know that. Even the players themselves know that I'm sure. So we'll be back stronger. We will be determined to win this cup again. If we do face Barcelona once more, I hope its a two legged affair. That's the only advantage any team has of beating Barcelona. They are a brilliant team to support and watch. That is how football should be played. If it was any other team in that final against Barca instead of United, I know for a fact that they would've been as clueless as we were for a whole 90 minutes. Barcelona were untouchable, marvelous, and deserved it. No one else could've won it.

However, this season brings renewed expectations. To be better, stronger and with the experience that we have acquired over the last three or four years, to be winning more than what we already have achieved. Now, I don't want to sound pro - negative about this. So, this years heartbreaking final brought with it some positives to hold on to. Our defense was alright... We will come out better because of this I know that. There's a partnership brewing between Chicharito and Rooney. We'll get the reinforcements that we need. I'm feeling confident already. If we could achieve so much in a season where even I will agree with some critics that this wasn't the strongest of Sir Alex Ferguson's teams of the past, imagine what we can do with a squad to really reckon with. And there is a belief about us. We give it until the final whistle. Love United.

Thought I should leave this one on a more serious note...

Transfers are on. The league fixtures are out and Football's only just around the corner. The Fat lady should start singing any moment now. I hope she's a Manchester United fan...


No comments:

Post a Comment